Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Happy Birthday, Mr Parks!


A little toast to my partner in aural crime, as Mr Parky celebrates his birthday today. In his honour, I've picked out five suitable songs to commemorate his birth, get him in the party mood and hopefully gloss over the fact that I haven't bought him a present. 

Well, it's the thought that counts and I've certainly given this selection some thought. In fact, this playlist was much more difficult to compile than I first expected, what with my natural inclination to avoid the obvious (Stevie Wonder's Happy Birthday), coupled with my appreciation of his post-Glasto state (Whiskeytown's Dancing With The Girls At The Bar is great but perhaps optimistic on a hungover Tuesday, no?!). Instead, I went for the bluesy, the modestly celebratory and the tongue-in-cheek, ending - as Mr P always does - with Neil Young. A fitting tribute then, and hopefully a decent listen for everyone else.

The Beatles - "Birthday" (The White Album, 1968)

Jim White - "God Was Drunk When He Made Me" (No Such Place, 2001)

Rare Earth - "I Just Want To Celebrate" (One World, 1971)

Little Axe - "All Night Party" (Hard Grind, 2002)

Neil Young - "Old Man" (Harvest, 1972)

No comments:

Post a Comment